detox collection spotlight: how to achieve a happy + healthy scalp
Here at amika, we are a friend to all. A friend to hair, hairstylists, to her, him, you and them. We create products to solve your hair concerns. Our assortment includes 10 collections that cater to every type of hair – no matter ethnicity, age or gender. To help you get to know our products a little better, we are starting a series on The Strand where we highlight a selection of our 10 collections- who they are for, how to fit these products into your routine, and what results you can expect. We’re hoping to shed a little more light on how to pick products that best suit your hair type. But don’t forget, never be afraid to mix and match collections for your specific needs and concerns! All right, here we go!
who is this collection for?
Are you a dry shampoo fiend? Does your hair tend to get oily just from a single touch? Do you have very fine hair? Do you struggle with your hair actually feeling clean? Look no further than our detox collection. Everything in this collection will help cleanse, purify, and balance natural oils without stripping hair of needed moisture.
what are some main ingredients in this collection + what makes them great?
100% natural charcoal + pink clay - absorb dirt, oil + toxins that collect on the hair + scalp + helps to rid hair of impurities + odors
Indian cress stem extract - enriches hair with vitamins and antioxidants to promote oxygen flow for a balanced, healthy scalp
Cooling menthol - invigorates the scalp with a clean, tingling sensation
Rice, tapioca and corn starch – absorb dirt and oil and product build-up at the scalp.
Sea Salt – contains a number of essential minerals and trace elements such as magnesium and calcium
Salicylic Acid – gently exfoliates the scalp
Pink Clay & Charcoal – both known for their ability to absorb dirt, odors, minerals, hard metals, toxins, and other harmful substances that can collect on our hair and skin through pollution or hard water + remove unpleasant odors while exfoliating dead skin cells
Sunflower Oil – breaks down oil-soluble dirt and grime
Sea Buckthorn Oil – adds back the scalp’s most needed moisture and antioxidants
what products are in this collection + how do you add them into your routine?
- Reset clarifying gel shampoo: Attract dirt like a magnet to draw out impurities + remove product buildup, without stripping. Reset clarifying gel shampoo is a unique aerosol gel-to-foam that rids hair of oil, dirt, odor + sweat while replenishing moisture + reviving volume. This shampoo is gentle enough to be used every wash, or even every day. We get asked a lot why this shampoo is in an aerosol component, and that’s a great question! The main reason is so we could achieve that airy, gel texture. This is great for oily scalps, avid dry shampoo users + fine to medium hair types, however if you have color-treated hair, we recommend staying far away from this shampoo, as the cleansing properties can fade color.
- Reset cooling gel conditioner: This cooling conditioner is like a breath of fresh air for your scalp with a unique gel formula that delivers hydration without the weight. Enriched with refreshing menthol, this formula soothes the scalp + restores moisture balance. Unlike the shampoo, this conditioner IS color safe. This is great for those with finer hair types that find that conditioner weighs their hair down. This cooling conditioner will deliver the moisture needed for healthy locks without weighing down!
- Phantom hydrating dry shampoo foam: This gentle cleansing foam absorbs dirt and oil while hydrating the scalp. Great for all hair types, even those that traditionally wouldn't use a dry shampoo like wavy, curly + coily hair types. Think of this as perk up dry shampoo, but for very dry hair types. It’s even great for post-workout! Shake well. Spray quarter-sized amount into palm. Foam will grow to about golf ball-size. Work into desired area and massage in until dry. Repeat as needed, then style as usual. For maximized results, try blow-drying into the hair!
- Reset pink charcoal scalp cleansing oil: Hit reset and detoxify your scalp with our new purifying pre-wash. This oil-to-foam hybrid invigorates and hydrates to encourage a healthy scalp. Key ingredients pink clay and charcoal gently draw out impurities and remove product build-up without stripping hair. It's the perfect weekly remedy for dry shampoo junkies. If you’re familiar with double cleansing your skin, think of this as the oil cleanser that would break up tough makeup or impurities. Shampoo and condition as usual after use.
- Reset exfoliating jelly shampoo: Meet your new salt bae. This innovative jelly shampoo utilizes charcoal, pink clay, and sea salt to deep clean, purify, rebalance, and soothe the scalp. Use it to instantly relieve and refresh even the most oily, itchy or sensitive scalps. Perfect for buffing away dead skin and product build up. We don’t recommend this baby for color-treated hair either, as it contains salt that will affect the vibrancy of color. Use this once or twice a week to oxygenate the scalp.
currently unavailable on loveamika.com, but available through sephora.com!
a real life example
“My name is Becca and I’m the community manager here at amika. If you read The Strand often, you may also notice my name from the bottom of these articles! I have something called alopecia areata, an autoimmune disease that causes my hair to fall out. You can read more about my story here.
Because my hair is so fine, I’m a die-hard detox collection fan. I use the reset clarifying gel shampoo every time I wash my hair to break up build up from previous days of dry shampoo and any root cover I use to hide my spots. My hair also tends to get oily much quicker these days. If I’ve gone longer than usual without washing my hair, I will use the reset pink charcoal scalp cleansing oil before shampooing and conditioning to act as a double cleanse. This basically just ensures that all build up is cleansed and removed.
I’ve found that using a microfiber towel has really helped with the integrity of my hair. It also helps immensely with frizz. Once out of the shower, I flip my head over and use this microfiber hair towel.
Once most of the moisture has been absorbed into the towel, I like to add some more moisture back into the ends of my hair. My go to is the wizard detangling primer, but I also love the vault color-lock leave-in conditioner. I focus whatever leave-in I’m using at the very ends and then always make sure to detangle with a fine-tooth comb, starting at the ends and working my way to the crown. This is how I avoid fall out and stressing my hair too much.
Between washes, I’m a perk up dry shampoo fanatic. It allows me to go further in between washes, which is insanely important for me. I also have light brown hair, and it never gives me a white cast.”
We only make products that make us proud. We create highly effective haircare that has always been certified cruelty-free, formulated without sulfates, parabens, aluminum starch and over 1,300 questionable ingredients banned by the European Union.
Have any questions regarding your specific hair type? Make sure to check out ACE, our personalized hair quiz on loveamika.com that will give you the run-down on what products to use for your specific hair type, hair concerns, and lifestyle.
By Becca King, community manager
Leave a Comment