go backstage at NYFW with amika Global Artistic Director Naeemah LaFond
On Sept. 8, amika was lucky enough to play a part in Susan Alexandra’s Spring/Summer 2023 show at New York Fashion Week. Created by jewelry designer Susan Korn, Susan Alexandra is known for colorful and whimsical accessories that are steeped in New York City charm. This year for the show, “she hosted a party show at the Comedy Cellar, emceed by Search Party and Abbot Elementary’s Larry Owens and featuring SNL’s Chloe Fineman and Sarah Sherman, Emmy nominee Sydnee Washington, and Cat Cohen of the Netflix hit The Twist? She’s Gorgeous” says Vogue’s Sarah Spellings. Each comedian sported Susan Alexandra pieces all while cracking jokes and enjoying the not-so-serious side of fashion.
Our very own Global Artistic Director Naeemah LaFond styled the hair at the Susan Alexandra show, and we have the inside scoop on the inspiration behind the looks as well as how she achieved them. Keep reading for more!
Naeemah LaFond’s hair look inspiration
According to Naeemah, “we wanted to focus on each comedian’s personal style, while infusing some ’90s supermodel hair into their looks—including big, bouncy curls throughout.”
key products used
hair look breakdown
- Begin the look by misting the hair and applying plus size perfect body mousse.
- Curl the hair using a blow dryer and round brush—over direct for volume and body at the hairline.
- Taking medium-to-large sections of hair, apply the shield anti-humidity spray and curl using the 1.25" amika curler.
- Pin curl each section after styling and allow the look to cool—the longer the sections get to cool guarantees that it will have more volume and body in the finished look.
- Once the pins are released, shape the blowout to the desired look using your hands and a paddle brush.
- Lock in the finished style by spraying headstrong intense hold hairspray throughout.
- Finish the style with Susan Alexandra beaded hair accessories.