how to give back this holiday season
amika means friend in the language Esperanto. We're a friend to all, which means we’re always willing to lend a helping hand. Doing good is one of our main purposes, so we wanted to share how we'll be giving back this holiday season, and how you can too!
We currently donate to causes near and dear to our hearts such as NAACP, Black Lives Matter, Know Your Rights Camp, the PBA Covid-19 Relief Fund, and we donate 1% of all ecommerce sales to HairToStay. We also made additional donations this holiday season to The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention and Styles4Kidz.
These are causes that are important to us, but it’s also important that you give to what is most important to YOU. We encourage you to do your research and support causes that mean something to you.
how to be a friend to all
actions you can take:
- Donate your hair after a haircut.
- Volunteer at a local soup kitchen (do some googling to find out what’s open in your area).
- Donate any extra PPE to schools or nursing homes.
- Make holiday cards for the elderly in your community.
- Buy gift cards from your hair stylist for booking future appointments; they’re being hit hard right now.
- Ask your stylist if they’re an amika salon affiliate. If not, let them in on this secret.
- Write a handwritten letter to a friend you haven’t been able to visit because of the pandemic.
- Start a book club with friends and family.
where to donate - some suggestions to get you started
- No Hungry Kid - The pandemic has shut down schools across America and children are living with hunger at levels not seen in years.
- GiveDirectly - The COVID-19 crisis is affecting all of us in a way no other crisis has. If you’re coping and able to help someone worse off, now is the time to act. Giving directly is a fast, efficient, proven, and empowering way to do so.
- Seattle Children’s Hospital Wish List – The hospital partnered with Amazon to create a wish list of gifts for their young patients.
- One Simple Wish - Every year nearly 500,000 children are impacted by abuse, neglect and trauma and spend time in our nation’s foster care system. It can be lonely, confusing and a bit scary. Through their innovative wish-granting platform, you can send some love to a child who needs it. When wishes come true, kids not only have a chance to just be kids, but they can also make important connections, experience new things and find their passion!
- The Trevor Project - the leading national organization providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer & questioning (LGBTQ) young people under 25.
- Trans Lifeline - Trans Lifeline is a grassroots hotline and microgrants 501(c)(3) non-profit organization offering direct emotional and financial support to trans people in crisis – for the trans community, by the trans community.
This year has been a tough one for EVERYONE, but if you’re in the position to give back, we hope that you do and support organizations that are important to you. Have any suggestions of actions to take or places to donate? Leave us a comment!